No moment captures Kenya’s glorious boxing history more than the 1987 All Africa games which were held in Nairobi. With Kenya hosting the event, raucous crowds attended the boxing events that were held at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre. Kenya sent a squad of twelve boxers, eight of whom reached the final. All eight ended up with gold medals.
Kenya’s gold medalists on that occasion were:
- Light Welterweight David “DK” Kamau Towedros Michiku of Ethiopia
- Bantamweight Stephen Mwema, who beat Ndaba Dube of Zimbabwe
- Featherweight Patrick “Mont” Waweru who beat Charles Lubulwa of Uganda
- Lightweight John Wanjau, who beat Haritora Rapotamanga of Madagscar
- Light Flyweight Maurice Maina, who beat Emmanuel Nsubuga of Uganda
- Mohammed “Body” Orungi, who beat Martin Nougle of Nigeria
- Welterweight Robert Wangila, who beat Sahelu Mekuria of Ethiopia
- Superheavyweight Chris Odera who beat Tschibalala Kadima of Zaire.