Joan Chelimo Melly clocked 1:05:04 to win the Sportisimo Prague Half Marathon in the Czech capital. The race is a IAAF Gold Label road race.
Running behind the pacemakers, Melly ran the opening five kilometres in 14:51, reached 10k in 30:14 and 15km in 45:54. She slowed down significantly in the last 5km
“I felt my strength wane a bit towards the end, but it was still enough to break a new personal best and secure a win. I’m incredibly happy I managed to do it in Prague and would like to thank everyone who helped me achieve this result.” she said.
Melly has been on a tear this season. Her previous lifetime best of 1:05:37 at the RAK Half in Ras Al Khaimah in February.
The women’s world record is held by Joyceline Jepkosgei and all the top 10 marks have been run by Kenyans.
Bernard Kimeli won the men’s race as Kenyans occupied 9 of the top 10 positions.
1. Benard Kimeli, KEN, 59:47
2. Geoffrey Yegon, KEN, 59:56
3. Peter Kwemoi, KEN, 59:58
4. Abel Kipchumba, KEN, 1:00:05
5. Shadrack Kiplagat, KEN, 1:00:06
6. Abraham Kapsis Kipyatich, KEN, 1:00:08
7. Justus Kangogo, KEN, 1:00:24
8. Joshat Kimutai Tanui, KEN, 1:01:14
9. Edmond Kipngetich, KEN, 1:01:19
10. Eyob Faniel, ITA, 1:02:27
1. Joan Melly, KEN, 1:05:04
2. Caaroline Chepkoech Kipkirui, KEN, 1:06:09
3. Worknesh Degefa, ETH, 1:08:10
4. Risper Chebet, KEN, 1:09:25
5. Antonina Kwambai, KEN, 1:09:48
6. Flomena Chepchirchir, KEN, 1:09:52
7. Gladys Kimaina, KEN, 1:10:40
8. Eva Vrabcová-Nývltová, CZE, 1:11:01
9. Sviatlana Kudzelich, BLR, 1:11:45
10. Catherine Bertone, ITA, 1:13:51
Back to Kenya Athletics Page